Well, who does not like tomatoes? Do you want to find out some interesting health benefits of tomatoes? Tomatoes have a whole arsenal of beneficial qualities for the human body. They are not only useful, but also surprisingly tasty. In addition, they are characterized by good compatibility with other products: tomatoes can be eaten in many different combinations: salads, soups, sauces, roasts, etc. When cooked, they give a wonderful flavor to any dish.
Tomatoes come in a variety of colors: red, pink, orange, black and yellow.
Calorie in a tomato: 20 kcal per 100 grams of product.
The composition of tomatoes
Tomatoes are rich in numerous and diverse vitamins, contain easily digestible carbohydrates, pectic substances, which makes them an ideal product for a daily diet.
Tomatoes contain potassium, magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, copper, phosphorus, thiamine, and salts of folic acid. A large number of organic acids that are necessary for our body to work properly. And also tomatoes contain quite a lot of vitamins: A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, E, K, PP, but most of them are vitamin C. 100 grams of ripe tomatoes contain a quarter of the daily value of vitamin C for an adult.
The benefits of tomatoes for the body
Tomatoes and their benefits to the human body
The benefits of tomatoes for the body is huge. Tomato juice and fresh tomatoes are good for memory loss, general loss of strength, hypertension, anemia, asthenia and gastritis. Metabolic processes under the influence of tomatoes quickly normalize, the work of the gastrointestinal tract improves, the work of the liver and genitals improves.
Other useful properties of tomatoes include the ability to stimulate appetite, improve the adaptation of the body to low air temperatures, they have such properties as: antibacterial, diuretic, antiscorbetic, anti-inflammatory and laxative. To prevent atherosclerosis, tomatoes are part of special diets.
Here are the 14 most significant facts testifying to the extraordinary benefits of regular consumption of tomatoes:
1. The first thing to note is that tomatoes have a positive effect on blood composition. They not only replenish blood with all useful substances, but also struggle with the formation of blood clots, reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
2. Tomatoes contain organic matter tyramine, which in the body turns into serotonin. Thanks to this, they raise their spirits and help fight stress conditions.
3. It is believed that regular consumption of tomatoes reduces the risk of prostate cancer, as well as such types of this deadly disease as cancer of the larynx, pharynx, esophagus, oral cavity, cervical spine, lung, stomach, colon and ovaries.
These wonderful properties of tomatoes are required to lycopene contained in them – the pigment that gives the tomatoes a red color. Lycopene is best absorbed from thermally processed foods, however, and fresh tomatoes should not be neglected.
Many experts are of the opinion that it is tomato dishes with olive oil that cause low levels of cancer in Mediterranean countries.
Drinking one glass of tomato juice per day will reduce the risk of cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
4. Tomatoes are rich in calcium. This means that their use is very beneficial for bones. As already mentioned, they contain vitamin K, which contributes to the health and strength of bone tissue.
Lycopene, among other things, is also involved in its strengthening due to its ability to prevent bone mass loss. This is especially important for those who come into old age when such diseases as osteoporosis first come to be felt.
5. For those who have trouble sleeping, it is advisable to drink a glass of tomato juice at night. According to proven data, it helps a more sound and healthy sleep.
6. Tomatoes – a real salvation for our skin. High levels of lycopene slows down the appearance of folds and wrinkles, and also makes the skin more protected from exposure to sunlight.
It is an effective antioxidant, an invaluable means of maintaining healthy and beautiful skin.
Tomatoes can be used not only for consuming them inside, but also for making face and body masks.
7. Smoking leads to the accumulation of harmful carcinogens. Chlorogenic and coumaric acids contained in tomatoes protect the body from carcinogens resulting from smoking.
8. The antioxidant properties of tomatoes also help to neutralize harmful free radicals and minimizes the damage they cause to health.
9. Vitamin A contained in tomatoes helps preserve and improve the condition of the hair, making it stronger and more shiny. It is also necessary for the health of nails and teeth.
10. Tomatoes are extremely good for the eyes. Vitamins A and C contribute to the improvement of vision and prevent the development of so-called night blindness (weakening of twilight vision).
Vitamin A is a significant factor in reducing the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts. Several other antioxidants in the composition of tomatoes provide eye protection from the harmful effects of bright light. In old age, you need to eat tomatoes in order to preserve vision.
11. Diabetics are simply obliged to include tomatoes in their regular diet, since chromium in them helps regulate blood sugar levels. Tomatoes contain a very small amount of carbohydrates and a lot of fiber, which also helps to maintain a safe level of sugar.
12. Vitamins A, B, C and potassium make tomatoes an invaluable product for the heart. They reduce cholesterol levels, prevent pressure surges, angina attacks, and in combination with other nutrients reduce the risk of heart disease.
13. Tomatoes are low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. They are also very low-calorie, which is another significant reason to include them in large quantities in any wellness diet, as well as losing weight.
14. Pectins, which are part of a tomato, reduce bad cholesterol.
Even on such a common product as tomatoes there were contraindications. People with allergies and gallstone disease cannot eat this vegetable. In old age, those who eat large quantities of tomatoes may have kidney stones, as well as cramps in the gall bladder.
Tomatoes should be stored in a refrigerator in a special container for vegetables, and also regularly inspected to make sure that they did not start to deteriorate.
Overripe and soft tomatoes are best used for making sauces and baked dishes.
Unripe tomatoes are usually laid out on a window sill so that they ripen in soft sunshine.
Do you want to know more about tomatoes? Check the benefits of tomatoes.