Before we start looking at the 5 unusual banana recipes, you can check out here the benefits of bananas.
The first acquaintance with bananas
The first mentions of bananas are found in written sources dating from the distant fifth century BC. It is believed that the Malay Archipelago is the birthplace of this fruit – it was from here in those early times that bananas came to India. In this case, the first acquaintance of Europe with bananas took place in 327 BC: Alexander of Macedon brought a strange fruit straight from India.
Currently, a banana is among the seven most common and cultivated worldwide crops. Bananas have taken root in almost all cuisines of the world, while in different parts of the world they are cooked and eaten differently. For example, residents of temperate countries are accustomed to eating banana fruits without heat treatment, only peeling them, while in the tropics they are usually fried and boiled.
In addition to sweet desserts, snacks, side dishes, first and second courses are prepared from bananas. And in the Philippines during World War II, when tomatoes were in great shortage, they even invented banana ketchup! To prepare an unusual sauce, banana puree was made, which was then mixed with sugar, vinegar and spices. Red dye was added to the finished ketchup to give the sauce a familiar look.
Unexpected varieties of bananas
Today, bananas can be found on the shelves of almost any supermarket or grocery store. Currently, there are about 300 varieties of this delicious and incredibly healthy fruit. At the same time, experts divide the banana varieties into starchy and sweet. It is starch varieties that are ideal for frying, boiling and cooking dishes with meat, fish and rice. The flesh of such bananas has a rather dense texture, and the taste is somewhat similar to mashed potatoes.
In local stores, in addition to popular yellow bananas, sometimes you can see a dwarf variety – sugar bananas baby. Among the distinguishing features of this variety is not only small size, but also very sweet flesh of rich yellow color. Sometimes, although quite rarely, red bananas can be found in modern supermarkets. The lack of this variety on the territory of Russia is explained by the complexity of its transportation – such bananas practically do not tolerate long journeys. The color of their pulp can range from rich red to purple. It is the perfect variety for frying or baking. Another unusual kind is bananas with a taste of apples, which are called apple bananas. For these fruits is characterized by a thin greenish skin.
Let’s take a look at 5 unusual banana recipes.
Delicate banana soup is incredibly popular in India. In our latitudes such a dish is a wonder, so you will surely manage to surprise your relatives and friends. Especially because for the preparation of banana soup will not need any exotic ingredients. Serve the finished dish can be either hot or cold.
- vegetable broth – 500 ml;
- Cashew nuts – 50 g;
- one banana;
- one apple;
- leek stem;
- butter – 2 tbsp. l .;
- ground ginger – 1 pinch;
- curry – ¼ tsp
- Peel the apple and cut it into cubes. Then remove the peel from the banana and cut it into rings.
- Wash the leek, cut the green part into 4-5 cm long pieces, cut the white part into rings.
- Heat the butter in a pan, put an apple, leek rings and half a banana. Stew the onions and fruits, then curry, ginger and salt. Stew the billet for another five minutes.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil, add vegetables to it and boil them under a lid over medium heat for about a quarter of an hour. Then using a blender to bring the soup to a state of mashed potatoes. Add the other half of the banana.
- Before serving, fill the dish with roasted nuts and green onion feathers.
The classic banana eggs will help diversify the daily diet and pleasantly surprise households. We offer a basic recipe, and you can always supplement it with other ingredients to your liking – greens, ham, cheese and other products.
- eggs – 2 pcs .;
- one banana;
- Peel a banana and cut it into circles about one centimeter thick.
- Heat butter in a pan and add banana slices to it. Fry the fruit on both sides until a blush appears.
- In a separate deep bowl, beat the eggs with a fork. Pour bananas with eggs and simmer in a pan until cooked.
- Serve such unusual scrambled eggs with banana slices and cinnamon.
Fried bananas with a golden crust are ideally combined with jam, jam, honey, nuts, coconut, caramel and cinnamon. You can play on the contrast and serve them with vanilla ice cream balls.
- one banana;
- Egg into a deep bowl and beat with a fork, gradually pouring flour in the process. The dough should not be too thick or too thin.
- Peel banana. The fruit can be fried completely or cut into circles. Heat the butter in a frying pan. Bananas alternately dipped in batter and immediately spread on the pan.
- Fry bananas on both sides until a blush appears.
- The finished dish can be served with honey, caramel and nuts – ideal for a hearty breakfast or dessert.
CHICKEN WITH RICE AND BANANA
Surprisingly, bananas go well with meat. For example, in the countries of Latin America they love to fry bananas in olive oil and serve as a side dish to meat dishes. You can take note of this option, but you can go even further and add a banana to the recipe of the main dish.
- butter – 30 g;
- water – 2 cups;
- bananas – 2 pcs .;
- rice – 1 cup;
- bunch of parsley;
- one head of garlic;
- ground crackers – 2 tbsp. l .;
- vegetable oil;
- salt and pepper.
- Chicken cut and cut into pieces of medium size. Grate the pieces with salt and pepper, and with a sharp knife make small cuts on the pulp.
- Finely chop the parsley, crush the garlic with the help of a garlic press. Mix greens and garlic, fill the cuts in the meat with the mixture.
- Heat frying pan with vegetable oil, fry chicken pieces until cooked.
- Wash rice several times, then place in boiling brackish water. Prepare crumbly porridge.
- Peel bananas and cut them diagonally to make large elongated rings. Breaded slices in breadcrumbs, put on a heated pan with butter and fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Put rice, chicken and fried bananas on a large dish.
This original banana dessert, which would decorate the menu of any cafe or restaurant, can be easily prepared at home by yourself. Banana marshmallows will be a great addition to a light breakfast or evening tea.
- agar-agar – 8 g;
- bananas – 250 g;
- one chicken protein;
- sugar – 700 g;
- powdered sugar – 1 tbsp. l
- Peel bananas and bring mashed potatoes to the consistency using a blender. Approximately 250 g of banana mixed with 250 g of sugar. Leave the puree for 10 minutes.
- Agar-agar: pour 150 ml of cold water and mix thoroughly.
- Sugar (450 g): pour in the agar-agar, then put to cook for five minutes on medium heat from the moment of boiling. After the specified time, remove the pan from the stove and cool slightly.
- Add egg yolk to banana puree. Beat ingredients until volume increases. To them gradually pour in the cooled syrup, without stopping the process of beating. As a result, the mixture should become fluffy and thick enough. It should take 10-12 minutes to whip.
- Put the prepared mass into the pastry bag and form neat marshmallows. Allow the dish to cool at room temperature, leaving the marshmallow for about a day.
- Before serving, dessert can be sprinkled with powdered sugar.