Everybody knows that carrots are good for your body, but who knows the actual benefits of carrots? Carrots are a biennial plant, in which in the first year a rosette and root crop are formed, and in the second year – seeds and a seed bush. Carrots grow almost everywhere: in Africa, Australia, New Zealand and America. This is the oldest root vegetable that people began to eat. According to legend, for the first time a man saw a horse eating carrots. He became interested, and he took away the plant from the animal.
In the 16th century, doctors prescribed it fresh to the sick. So that the root crop retains its healing properties, it was kept in the winter in honey. This tradition is still preserved among German and French peasants – every new year they serve carrot in honey for dessert, believing that in this way a person receives all the necessary trace elements necessary to protect the body. The orange variety of carrots, which is familiar to us, was developed in the 17th century in the Netherlands.
Vitamins contained in carrots
Carrots are an excellent source of large amounts of vitamins and trace elements:
- essential oils;
- B vitamins;
- vitamin D;
- pantothenic and ascorbic acids;
By the content of carotene, it surpasses all vegetables and fruits with the exception of sea buckthorn. It is this element that gives it an orange color. At the same time, it is available at any time of year at a low cost, which makes carrots an indispensable product on any table.
Carrots also contain high amounts of glucose, which makes it taste so sweet. It also contains starch, pectins, fiber.
The most useful will be a ripe carrot, it contains all the useful substances in the maximum amount.
The benefits of carrots for the body
The peculiarity of carotene in large quantities in carrots is that it is not destroyed by heat treatment. That is, even boiled or fried, carotene is absorbed by the body, where it turns into retinol.
However, for this, the body must contain at least a small amount of fat, because the vitamins contained in carrots dissolve in it and are absorbed better.
This is not the only useful property of carrots. It is useful to know the following:
- It has been scientifically proven that a large number of useful elements are contained in the peel, therefore it is recommended not to clean it, but thoroughly rinse before use with running water.
- In the composition of carrots a large proportion of water takes, which makes it very useful for the intestines, and this greatly affects the entire work of the whole organism.
- Carrots are indispensable for diets, because any restriction of nutrition leads to a lack of vitamins and trace elements in the body. The orange root vegetable contains them in large quantities and helps to maintain proper and proper functioning of all body systems.
- Regular consumption of carrots helps preserve and even improve vision. The classic manifestation of a lack of vitamin A, which is in the root – the so-called, night blindness, when a person sees poorly in the dark and twilight.
- The substances contained in the root vegetable dissolve stones in the gall bladder.
- It helps strengthen the immune system, making the body more resistant to diseases.
- It has an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect, so it is helpful to eat carrots for ailments, especially in the case of stomach diseases. Grated root helps well for burns and purulent wounds.
- A large amount of the product has a laxative effect. This property can be used if it is necessary to clean the intestines from toxins.
- Use as a tonic silt lotion for the face, allows you to refresh the skin and make it soft and silky.
- Carrots are the perfect natural remedy for worms.
- Strengthens intestinal peristalsis.
- Drinking juice helps relieve fatigue, improve appetite and complexion.
Because of this, you can use a vegetable as an additional adjunct in the treatment and prevention of the following diseases:
- gallstone disease (renews cells of the kidneys and liver);
- myocardial infarction ;
- stomatitis and inflammation of the oral cavity (you need to rinse your mouth with diluted carrot juice);
- anemia (due to iron content);
- diabetes ;
- hypertension (low blood pressure);
- oncology (scientists have proven that regular consumption of the root, reduces the risk of cancer by 40%);
How to maintain the beneficial properties of carrots?
However, it is known that many vitamins are destroyed during heat treatment, for example, if you cook or fry a vegetable. Cellulose at high temperature breaks down into simple sugars, the large consumption of which leads to fullness. Therefore, the preparation of carrots must be approached very carefully. So, it is necessary to shred the carrot just before cooking, as it is peeled it quickly withers.
If you need to keep it for some time, you need to put the root vegetable in a clean dish and cover with a damp cloth. But in this state it should be no more than 2-3 hours.
When cooking, some of the vitamins will collapse, however, in order to better preserve vitamin C, you should put the vegetable directly in boiling water and maintain a uniform boil throughout cooking. The lid of the dish should be closed, and under it should be as little as possible free space.
You can eat and dried carrots. It will no longer contain vitamin C, but will remain: carotene, vitamins of group A, mineral salts.
As for cooking methods, frying has the most beneficial effect on nutrients contained in carrots than cooking. Most microelements die in the process of extinguishing. At the same time, boiled carrots are much calorie fresh.
It is recommended to store the root vegetable in the refrigerator, in a hermetically sealed bag, so that it does not coexist with other vegetables and fruits. Apples, for example, make carrots more bitter in taste.
Contraindications and side effects of eating carrots
Limiting the use of orange root is in several cases:
- during pregnancy – to prevent an excess of vitamin A in the body, which is very toxic in case of overdose;
- in the presence of gastritis , increased acidity of the stomach, colitis;
- in the presence of allergies to vegetables.
Overeating carrots leads to the so-called “carotene jaundice” – the skin becomes orange. However, there is no danger to health, it is enough to stop eating a carrot for a while and everything will pass. Yellowing of the skin is not due to the presence of carotene, but to the fact that slags in the liver and passages begin to dissolve. If there were many of them in the body, then the intestines and kidneys do not cope with the removal of waste and slags leave through the skin. They have an orange or yellow tint.
Drink is only fresh carrot juice. Packaged drink can contain a huge amount of additives, flavors and dyes, destroying all the beneficial properties.
As such, it is not possible for a carrot to harm its body, the main thing is to comply with the measure and not drink more than 2 liters of juice per day. If you want to use a root vegetable in the treatment, you should consult with your doctor.
You can get all the benefits of carrots, but be careful not to get to the stage of excessive consumption of carrot or juice, for it can lead to lethargy and drowsiness.
Check out some quick carrot recipes.