The tomato is the most common vegetable in the world. They have a wonderful taste, both fresh and processed. We love tomatoes and eat them often so let’s take a look at the benefits of tomatoes.
British scientists have compiled a list of the 10 most useful products, and tomatoes were in the first place. They took the leading place due to the content of antioxidants and vitamin C.
Modern studies show that tomatoes are good for the cardiovascular system and prevent the appearance of malignant tumors, which is especially important now.
The health benefits of tomatoes
What is the use of tomatoes and what do they contain?
The tomato contains:
- starch – 0.15%;
- sugar – 1.8 to 4.1%;
- fiber 0, 55-0,84%;
- purines are important components of any cell – 2, 4 mg per 100 g;
- organic acids (malic, citric, tartaric, amber, slightly oxalic);
- many vitamins C, PP, carotene;
- nicotinic and folic acid;
- low content of B1, B2, P, K;
- mineral salts – salts of potassium, iron;
- Flavonoids, alkaloids;
- essential oil, giving the plant a solanaceous aroma;
- aromatic and dyes, yellow due to xanophil, red due to lycopene.
Enough to eat 200 grams of tomato and you will receive a daily dose of carotene.
In terms of iron content, tomatoes are superior to chicken meat, fish products, and milk, and are very useful in anemia. Their iron salts and folic acid are easily digestible.
Gentle fiber does not irritate the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract. They are easily digested and absorbed.
Pectic substances in tomatoes reduce cholesterol in the blood.
A small amount of purine fiber, low calorie allow us to consider the vegetable diet product for obesity and atherosclerosis.
The content of vitamin C red tomatoes are not inferior to lemons and oranges.
How to use the tomatoes?
Fresh tomatoes, tomato juice from organic acids, minerals have the following properties:
- improve digestion;
- quench thirst;
- reduce pressure;
- inhibit the growth of a number of microorganisms and fungi;
- stimulate intestinal peristalsis, emptying of the gallbladder, excretion of excess fluid from the body.
Previously, it was believed that tomatoes and their juice exacerbate gout and urolithiasis. But nutritionists believe this opinion is erroneous. Food with purines should be excluded from the diet of patients with gout, but their level in tomatoes is low, lower than in cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, peas, and beans.
In case of urolithiasis it is not recommended to consume products with oxalic acid, since the interaction of calcium and oxalic acid may appear oxalate stones. But in tomatoes, oxalic acid is only 5 mg ha 100 g. This is much less than in salad (30 mg), beets (40 mg), rhubarb (240 mg), sorrel (up to 360 mg).
The benefits of fresh tomatoes.
- Tomatoes and their juice activate the beneficial intestinal microflora and do not allow dysbacteriosis to develop, help to neutralize toxins that appear with excessive consumption of protein and fatty foods.
- Restore the disturbed metabolism.
- Reduce blood pressure.
- Useful for anemia, diabetes, obesity, heart failure, during the recovery period after surgery, irradiation.
- Due to the content of carotene increase visual acuity.
- It is recommended to use tomatoes with intense mental work and heavy physical exertion.
- Used in cosmetology, due to the presence in them of substances with anti-inflammatory properties.
- In case of varicose veins, it is useful to make applications of fetal plates on problem areas.
- Prevent the development of prostate adenoma.
- Strengthen immunity.
- Improve skin condition.
- Keep beauty and youth.
- Strengthen bones, thanks to vitamin K and calcium.
- Protect blood vessels from atherosclerosis.
- Coarse fibers help the intestines and toxins from the body.
- When sunburn well help compresses of tomatoes.
- Regulate blood sugar.
- Strengthen hair.
- Recommended for women after 40.
- Purify the body from radionuclides.
- Juice from tomatoes has a slight diuretic effect.
- Juice helps to get rid of extra pounds. If you want to lose weight, you should drink a glass of tomato juice before eating. It reduces appetite, and prevents overeating.
- Juice from tomatoes prevents the formation of blood clots, so it is very useful in sedentary lifestyles, because of which there is stagnation in the blood vessels.
- They help the kidneys and gall bladder, prevent the formation of stones.
- The fruit is an excellent antiseptic, if you cut, you can attach a slice of tomato.
As a result of research, it has been proven that regular consumption of fresh tomatoes, juice, ketchup reduces the risk of developing cancer of the prostate gland, colon and rectum, lungs and mammary glands.
How does the tomatoes nurish your body?
The enormous benefits of a tomato are due to the presence of the carotenoid lycopene.
What properties has a valuable substance?
Preventive and therapeutic antitumor action.
Restores blood vessels damaged by diseases and increases their patency.
Israeli scientists have studied the properties of lycopene in animals and found that when carcinogenic substances are introduced into the body together with an increased content of lycopene in the diet, the reproduction of cancer cells is inhibited.
American oncologists studied the effect of lycopene in the initial stages of patients with prostate cancer. Before surgery to remove a tumor, patients were divided into 2 groups, taking into account the uniformity of the disease, age.
One group took 15 mg of lycopene twice a day, and the second group did not take anything.
Before starting the study, all patients were given a blood test to determine the prostate specific antigen (SAP), which is a marker of the disease.
Blood tests of patients treated with lycopene showed that their SAP level dropped by 20%, which is a weakening of the malignant process.
In the second case, the SAP level slowly increased.
After surgery, it was found that in patients taking lycopene, the tumors were smaller, and the cancer cells had less tendency to metastasize than in patients who did not take lycopene.
Based on these studies, it was concluded that taking lycopene slows down the malignant process and reduces the likelihood of tumor metastasis.
The mechanism of the antitumor action of lycopene is not clear, but there is an assumption that it is associated with high antioxidant activity. The therapeutic effect is observed only when eating red tomatoes. In yellow, pale pink, green tomatoes there is no lycopene.
Lycopene was also found in watermelon, in some grape varieties, but in them the useful substance is three times less.
In ketchup and tomato sauce, lycopene is 1.5 times more than in fresh tomatoes or in juice. Since during processing, including heat, the cellular fibers of the shell and the pulp of the fruit are destroyed, which accelerates the transfer of lycopene to the finished product.
The recommended prophylactic daily dose of lycopene is 10-15 mg. This amount is contained in 0.5 kg of tomato, 2 cups of tomato juice, or 3-4 tablespoons of ketchup, tomato paste and sauce.
Lycopene is available as a food additive in capsules of 5 and 15 mg, there are dietary supplements with lycopene.
As a result of the study, 36 healthy people and 36 people with cardiovascular diseases took either a placebo or an agent containing lycopene.
Scientists have constantly investigated the vascular permeability of volunteers (one of the markers of cardiovascular health). It turned out as a result of research that the patients and healthy people who received lycopene, the patency of blood vessels increased by 53%.
The Japanese discovered a substance in tomatoes (9-oxooctadecadienoic acid) that prevents the development of cardiovascular diseases and positively affects the level of cholesterol in the blood.
The Americans found that the jelly-like substance surrounding the seeds of tomatoes contains a substance that can thin the blood and fight thrombus formation. This substance is found in fresh tomatoes, tomato juice.
It is useful to use a glass of juice a day – the result will be noticeable after a few weeks.
How to use tomatoes for maximum health benefits?
- The best tomatoes are those that ripened on the garden and not ripened at home.
- Tomatoes help to eliminate constipation and other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Use in salads with sour cream or vegetable oil.
- After consuming tomatoes, do not eat protein or starchy foods, as the acids they contain are poorly combined with such products.
- A day is enough to drink a glass of tomato juice. Juice should be without salt, sugar, preservatives. For better absorption, add unrefined vegetable oil.
- Tomato juice is better to drink before meals.
- In the ripening season, it is recommended to drink up to 0.5 liters of fresh tomato juice.
- In yellow and green tomatoes – a lot of potassium for vessels. In black – antioxidants from old age.
- The redder the tomato, the more lycopene in it.
How to choose tomato juice?
- If the consistency is similar to jelly, it means that starch or artificial pectin is added to it.
- Bright red color indicates the presence of non-artificial dyes.
How to choose tomato paste?
- Tomato paste is healthier than fresh tomatoes. It has more carotenoid lycopene. When choosing, pay attention to the content of soluble substances 25-28%, the more the better.
- It is better if the paste was produced in sunny regions, for example, in the Krasnodar region.
- Tomato paste spoils very quickly, so choose small jars or pour sunflower oil on top.
- Aggravation of ulcers, gastritis.
- Increased acidity of gastric juice.
- Pronounced cholecystitis, pancreatitis.
- In case of poisoning, drinking the juice of their tomatoes is not recommended, since even more unpleasant sensations can occur with abdominal pains, as stimulation of intestinal motility will begin.
- Allergic reaction.
Do you want to find out some facts about tomatoes? Check 14 interesting health benefits of tomatoes.